Once the official papers are signed, it’s time to start planning the move. Moving is a fun and exciting time, but it’s easy to get overwhelmed with how much there is to do, and just how little time we have to do it. We’re here to help! Check out these easy tips for a seamless and stress-free transition into your new #Trumark home.
What to do before the move:
- Plan. To help you destress on the day of the move, research and find a moving company using Better Business Bureau. Get the layout of your new home and use it as a guide to help you plan what you want your new home to look like, room by room.
- Start packing… right now. Even if you’re months away from the move, start packing a little bit each day. Take this time as an excuse to go through your things and see what is worth donating or selling and what is worth keeping; we suggest you donate items to Goodwill, or sell your items on Poshmark. Make sure to pack the non-essential items first, and don’t forget to label your boxes!
- Tell people you are moving! Of course be sure to tell your family and friends, but also make sure to change your postal address, tell your bank, online accounts, and any subscriptions you have about the move to ensure that all of your mail is going to the correct place.
- Don’t forget the small stuff.The day of your move, make sure to have one final walk through of your empty house. Make sure you aren’t leaving anything behind, and if you were renting, make sure to note of any damages in the home. Before you leave, be sure that the thermostat is turned off- you don’t want your final utilities bill to be off the charts.
What to do when you have moved:
- Open your “open first” labeled boxes. Start the unpacking process with opening up all of the essential items that you need immediately. These items should be in boxes labeled “open first”. Also, don’t forget to purchase other necessary items like toilet paper, paper towels, and soap before the big moving day.
- Only focus on unpacking on the day of your move. You can go a week without having cable or WiFi, but you can’t go a week without your coffee pot! Schedule your utilities to be installed and set up after the first day of being in your new home and only focus on unpacking for those first 24 hours.
- Throw a housewarming party. You are all moved in- for the most part- and it is time to celebrate! Invite your friends and family, pull out a bottle of wine, and enjoy your new home with those around you…you deserve it.