We obsess over every calorie, book our ClassPass schedule full of excruciating workouts, and drink green juice like our life depends on it. And for what? To be able to squeeze into a swimsuit, bathe in the sun by a pool or on the beach, and look so relaxed as other people with better bodies and tanner skin pass by. But are we really? Relaxed that is.
While we are hyper aware of our physical health and appearance, especially in the summertime when we want to look our best, it’s oftentimes the case that our mental wellness is overlooked.
Believe it or not (but you should definitely believe), having a consistent practice of mindfulness is as beneficial to your health as exercising regularly. Practicing mindfulness and simply living in the moment not only supports your physical health, but significantly improves your mental health as well.
There is a plethora of information out there and knowing where and how to start your mindfulness journey can be overwhelming. So let’s keep it simple. Scroll down for three easy tips that will get you on the path to a more mindful lifestyle.
Practice acceptance: One of the most important aspects to your mindfulness practice is to embrace and accept whatever may come your way. It is so easy to let negativity, stress, and agitation into our lives as things don’t go the way we intend – like getting a call from your boss making yet another ridiculous request or gaining extra weight from some missed gym sessions. Whatever the case, stop and just breathe for a moment. If your find your mind wandering into a stressful, critical, or negative territory, be aware and calmly guide it back to whatever your present situation is. The ability to accept is the biggest yet most rewarding and powerful aspect to living a more mindful life.
Remember, You are #1: In an effort to take care of the people and things around us, we often forget to take care of ourselves. Try to incorporate self-love into your everyday life, even if it’s something as small as lighting your favorite candle as you get ready for bed or carving out the time to apply a calming face mask. Daily TLC rituals can help to get you in healthier, more positive mindset, so you can conquer the day or week ahead! Remember, you can’t give 100%, if you don’t feel 100%.
Share your thoughts: Sharing your thoughts is a great way to process your feelings, worries, beliefs etc. You can share them with another person like a close friend, family member or even a therapist. Confiding in another individual can be very comforting, and they can potentially help sort out your thoughts and feelings. Writing a journal is also a great way to share your feelings. Be it on your computer or in an old school notebook, keeping a daily log of the happenings in your life is a major stress reliever that will instantly allow you to be more mindful in your everyday life.
“Trumark believes the ‘Farm to Table’ or organic eating lifestyle is attractive to its homebuyers, especially in parts of the country like Northern California where people are very connected to nature and the outdoors,” said Michael Maples of Trumark Communities.
Summer officially arrives on June 21 and what better way to welcome the new season than a mini home makeover? Yes, the word “makeover” can seem a bit intimidating, but rest assured with just a little reorganization and something new, transforming your home into a personal summer retreat will be as easy as tanning poolside, iced tea in hand. (Okay maybe not that easy, but you get the point).
Here are our top 8 summer home essentials that will make you feel like you’re on vacation every time you return home from work.
- Straw baskets: If you feel particularly uninspired to organize the random items thrown about your home, straw baskets are here to save the day! Lidded or baskets like these Lily and Serena ones are the chicest way to neatly store everything from beach towels to kids toys, leaving your home with a sense of calm. Arranging these multipurpose baskets in a corner or throughout your home is a great way to incorporate textural decoration and subtle beach vibes.
- Colorful throw pillows: Refresh your home by adding colorful throw pillows to your couch! This easy fix is a quick way to completely change up your living space for the summer. Pillows are perfect if you’re looking for an inviting area for guests to sit on (as you will host a million fabulous dinner parties from now until Labor Day). Check out these pretty embroidered coral pillows from Pottery Barn!
- Area rug: Statement rugs are a great way to center an open space such as a living room or bedroom, and can help complete your interior look. Light, neutral jute rugs like this are practical and will brighten up any space, but don’t be afraid to experiment with color. It’s summer after all! There are so many adorable, playful area rugs that offer a splash of color without being too overwhelming.
- Linen bedding: Linen is practically synonymous with summer. This light and airy fabric is the perfect bedding option for those uncomfortably warm summer nights. By replacing all your beds with linen sheets you will not only give your home a resort-like aesthetic, but will add a touch of luxury to every bedroom. These high-quality linen bedding sets from Parachute have rave reviews and customers have claimed that they get nicer the more you use them.
- Fun serveware: If you plan on entertaining, or need an excuse to buy something fun, unique serveware like this painted pitcher and serving plate from Anthropologie is a must! Going on the hunt to find the perfect summer serveware or dining sets to show off your personality can be a process, but just think of the extra fun you’ll have presenting fresh summer meals to friends and family.
- Seasonal candles: The calendar year could honestly be divided into candle scents. The smell of pine needles or cinnamon spices invade our homes throughout the fall and winter months, while spring and summer give way to lighter scents of ‘ocean breeze’ or warmer notes of things like deliciously smoky wood. This candle by Clove and Creek called ‘Campfire’ smells like a literal campfire and will fill your home with the sweet memories of roasting marshmallows at sleepaway camp.
- Dish towels: As simple as they are, dish towels hung on the handle of your stove or anywhere really, are such a necessary kitchen accessory. The best part about them? They’re replaceable, so you can have fun finding new ones for every season! Keep it simple and summery with a country home striped tea towel like this, or go crazy with this colorful chambray dish towel.
Decorative ceramics: Handmade, perfectly imperfect ceramic pieces like this simple ‘flat bowl’ from Felt + Fat are a great accessory for any home. Use a large ceramic bowl (or set of bowls) as a centerpiece for your dining table, or as a place to load all your summer fruit on your kitchen counter. Smaller decorative pieces work beautifully on side tables or by the front door so you can dump your keys in a reliable spot (because you already lost them twice today).
With 30 years of experience behind them, Michael Maples and Gregg Nelson look forward to well-being and technology making waves in the housing market, with Trumark leading the way.
Warm weather, late sunsets, and the sound of the ice cream truck circling around the neighborhood; summer is definitely here and Father’s day isn’t too far behind! Father’s day is June 17, and now is the time to start planning your perfect day of celebration that will let him know just how much you love him. Whether it’s his first or his fifth, what can you do to make this Father’s Day special? We have three celebration ideas for every type of dad: the wine dad, the nautical dad, and the ESPN dad. Whichever one you choose, he’s sure to be one proud papa.
The Wine Dad: He thinks he’s a sommelier every time he picks up a bottle or orders a glass.
Trust us, Dad just wants a day free from any pressure and what better way to relax and unwind than a day that begins and ends with wine. Head to a local vineyard for a wine tasting that’s guaranteed to make him feel extra special. Get a taste of Malibu’s finest wines, and meet the exotic animals who live at Saddlerock Ranch, as you explore the Malibu Wine Safari. Tickets are limited, so reserve your wine-filled day of fun and food in advance here.
The Nautical Dad: Never takes his Sperry’s off and includes the word “boat” in his retirement plan.
Enjoying each other’s company as a family seems simple, but it’s so easy to get sidetracked from your time together. Get away from the house, set your sights on the sea and rent a Duffy boat for the day! Located in Newport Beach (Newport Harbor), Duffy Electric Boat Rentals are always a fun way to celebrate with family and friends. Pack a picnic and you’re ready to go! Last minute walk-in customers are welcome, but we recommend that you book your boat in advance. Explore everything Duffy has to offer here.
The ESPN Dad: He probably coached your childhood soccer team, and loves to call you “sport”.
If dad taught you how to throw a baseball and the best way to break in your new glove, then why not return the favor and treat dad to an unforgettable afternoon at the ballpark on his big day! For fathers who like to spend their free time following sports, an afternoon in the sun, soaking in America’s Pastime, is the way to go. Nothing says “DAD” more than cracker jacks, ice cold beer, and foam fingers. Take dad to the ballpark and watch the Los Angeles Dodgers play against the San Francisco Giants this Father’s Day. Buy your tickets here.
Father’s Day is traditionally a day of breakfast in bed and carefully selected (but hardly ever worn) ties. For every kind of dad, there’s a perfect Father’s Day activity to enjoy and remember forever. From wine tasting and boating to a ball game, make it a day dad will never forget with a celebration that perfectly fits his personality.