With winter right around the corner, it’s time to start planning for your family’s winter vacation. What better way to spend winter break than a snow day? Hit the slopes at one of these affordable, family-friendly ski resorts.
Dodge Ridge Ski Resort (2.5hr drive from Dublin, CA)
This smaller ski resort is perfect for skiers of all levels. Save time by arriving early to the resort and getting your gear fitted the night before. Dodge Ridge also offers reasonably priced private lessons from one of their many friendly instructors.
Big Bear Mountain Ski Resort (2hr drive from Chino Hills & Santa Ana)
A Southern California local favorite, Big Bear Mountain is the ideal resort for a weekend getaway with the family. With nearby hotels and cabin lodging starting at just $100/night, a short winter vacation at the Big Bear Mountain Ski Resort is an affordable and convenient choice for any family.
Mt. Baldy Resort (1hr drive from Chino Hills & Santa Ana)
Can’t stay the weekend? No problem. Located only an hour drive away from Orange County, the Mt. Baldy resort is the perfect place for your family’s winter day-cation. Mt. Baldy is the spot for tubing, zip lining, hiking, and scenic lifts.
Now that the resort is taken care of, here are a couple of packing and driving tips to prepare your family for their snowy activities.
- Layers, layers, layers!
- Waterproof and insulated jackets, pants, and gloves for skiing
- Warm jackets, sweaters, and hats for casual winter fun
- First aid kit and hot packs for hands and feet
- Sunscreen and eye protection to protect you from the harmful UV rays reflected off the snow
- Check the weather forecast prior to booking your reservation.
- Get a complete vehicle checkup to ensure that all your car’s systems are working properly.
- Buy snow chains and learn how to put them on from this quick video tutorial.
- Pack an emergency winter driving kit.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly, as this is the best method for gaining and regaining traction.
- Keep your car’s gas tank at least half full and your battery fully charged.
- Avoid the expensive rental prices at ski resorts by looking for nearby rental shops on the way to your resort.