Memorial Day is a time for reflection and observance. It’s a time when we can come together with our friends and family to enjoy the freedom our service men and women have fought so hard to give our country. As this traditional welcome-to-summer weekend is upon us again, we hope you find a few ways to enjoy existing friendships and make a few new ones.
Here are a few things you can do to make this Memorial Day happy and healthy:
- Partake in a Parade.Virtually every city hosts a Memorial Day parade. Find the one nearest you, and grab a front-row seat on the sidewalk. This is a great way to honor America’s veterans and give thanks for everything they’ve given us.
- Host a Cookout Competition.Everybody loves a little friendly competition, especially when food is involved. Challenge your friends to a backyard cook-off, and may the best win! Pair couples against couples, men against women, odd-numbered-addresses against even-numbered-addresses, and watch the craziness ensue. Top this title-winning event off with an unforgettable gift like a smirk-inciting apron.
- Keep the Critters out of Cocktails.With the summer heat, you’re bound to run into a few unwanted bugs during your Memorial Day endeavors. For critter-free cocktails, simply slip a cupcake wrapper over each glass, and secure it with a rubber band. Poke a straw through the middle, and presto! You’ve bug-proofed your beverage.
- Slather on Sunscreen.Although Memorial Day is still a May day, which can be cloudy and overcast at times, the sun’s rays are well within your skin’s reach. Despite what some people think, UV rays easily penetrate cloud covering, making your delicate skin susceptible to damage on even the dreariest of days if you’re not covered with sunscreen. Apply sunscreen to your face and body before you leave the house, and keep a bottle nearby for re-applications throughout the day.
- Bring a Charger.Between texts and music, your phone will have one of the liveliest days of its life. Keep a charger on you so you can play DJ when the party dies down or hail a Lyft when it’s time to go home.
- Have a Picnic at the Beach. Head to the beach with a few lawn chairs in tow, a cooler filled with your favorite snacks and all the warm weather essentials. Play a game of beach volleyball on the sand or Frisbee. Whether you hangout on a grassy knoll looking out onto the beach below or on the sand itself, there’s plenty of opportunity to breathe in a preview of summer this Memorial Day.