The Homes at Fielding in Wallis Ranch celebrate modern agrarian lifestyle trends in residential real estate.
Memorial Day is a time for reflection and observance. It’s a time when we can come together with our friends and family to enjoy the freedom our service men and women have fought so hard to give our country. As this traditional welcome-to-summer weekend is upon us again, we hope you find a few ways to enjoy existing friendships and make a few new ones.
Here are a few things you can do to make this Memorial Day happy and healthy:
- Partake in a Parade.Virtually every city hosts a Memorial Day parade. Find the one nearest you, and grab a front-row seat on the sidewalk. This is a great way to honor America’s veterans and give thanks for everything they’ve given us.
- Host a Cookout Competition.Everybody loves a little friendly competition, especially when food is involved. Challenge your friends to a backyard cook-off, and may the best win! Pair couples against couples, men against women, odd-numbered-addresses against even-numbered-addresses, and watch the craziness ensue. Top this title-winning event off with an unforgettable gift like a smirk-inciting apron.
- Keep the Critters out of Cocktails.With the summer heat, you’re bound to run into a few unwanted bugs during your Memorial Day endeavors. For critter-free cocktails, simply slip a cupcake wrapper over each glass, and secure it with a rubber band. Poke a straw through the middle, and presto! You’ve bug-proofed your beverage.
- Slather on Sunscreen.Although Memorial Day is still a May day, which can be cloudy and overcast at times, the sun’s rays are well within your skin’s reach. Despite what some people think, UV rays easily penetrate cloud covering, making your delicate skin susceptible to damage on even the dreariest of days if you’re not covered with sunscreen. Apply sunscreen to your face and body before you leave the house, and keep a bottle nearby for re-applications throughout the day.
- Bring a Charger.Between texts and music, your phone will have one of the liveliest days of its life. Keep a charger on you so you can play DJ when the party dies down or hail a Lyft when it’s time to go home.
- Have a Picnic at the Beach. Head to the beach with a few lawn chairs in tow, a cooler filled with your favorite snacks and all the warm weather essentials. Play a game of beach volleyball on the sand or Frisbee. Whether you hangout on a grassy knoll looking out onto the beach below or on the sand itself, there’s plenty of opportunity to breathe in a preview of summer this Memorial Day.
Add a personal and mood-enhancing touch to your home décor with the natural beauty of flowers. Whether you have consciously or unconsciously developed your home décor to express feelings such as peace, serenity, passion, excitement or others, flowering plants add a splash of color that helps bring rooms to life. Here are a few ideas about how to naturally accent your home.
Fun, Vibrant Kitchens
Kitchens tend to be the place where most everyday life occurs. Whether it’s sipping your morning coffee, cooking family dinners, chatting over afternoon snacks or sharing the day’s events, we spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Explore your creative side in ways that reflect the room. For example, a bouquet of short-cut Black Eyed Susans in mason jars with water can brighten up a window sill. Line the bottom of the jar with smooth stones or seashells and add a ribbon to pull the display together.
The kitchen is a wonderful place to strategically recommission household items. Take a colorful kettle or red and yellow tomato can or other common kitchen items and use them as interesting bases. One the more fun and vibrant indoor plant families to explore are Gerber Daisies. They have a wide range of bursting colors from pinks to oranges to reds and purples. Gerber Daisies are extremely playful to the eye and uplifting to the spirit.
Serene Living Rooms
Living rooms tend to be less bustling and more relaxing spaces. The décor often reflects this ambiance with off-whites and neutral color schemes, but a splash of greenery won’t derail your meditative feeling. In fact, low light leafy plants are a subtle way to incorporate life. A Philodendron Hederaceum in a nondescript planter makes sense. Although they’re often used as hanging plants, they work well in a less prominent fashion on a corner table. Pothos, or Epipremnun Aureum, is like an indoor Hosta with chartreuse leaves while the yellow accents add color and height. The decision really depends on the mood you are trying to set in the room. But when it comes to living rooms, maintaining relaxing plant décor should entail backing off on bright colors and using neutral pots and planters.
When making decisions about how to decorate your home with flowers, think about how you want each room to feel. Bright colors excite the eye and deep greens calm. Don’t hesitate to use everyday items for displays or planters. But be careful not to allow the base to overpower the plant itself. Developing your flower décor is an ongoing exploration and change is as natural as the seasons. Get some ideas from Pinterest and give it a try.
On Saturday, April 29, Wallis Ranch hosted a community wellness event offering a variety of amenities and resources.
Trumark executives highlight the importance of starter homes in an emerging housing market.