When you are starting to look at homes, it can be difficult to decide what exactly you want in a home. Many first time home buyers can become easily overwhelmed when trying to decide what they need in a home. They may easily become confused between what they want and what they need. Many ask around for advice from others as they start looking for homes.
Here are some tips for first time home buyers.
- First of all, you should always meet with a trusted realtor and a mortgage company so that you can figure out exactly how much you can afford. Together, you can decide exactly how much you are comfortable spending each month so that you can target the correct houses to start to look through.
- Then, you should look at a lot of different types of homes. This will allow you to decide what type of home suits you best. Some people prefer ranchers while others like cape cods or farm houses. If you do not look at a bunch of different types, you might not realize exactly what home you want.
- You will also find out what other features you like in a home. You can look at different kitchens, bathrooms, and other features. You might realize that you want an open floor plan or that you do not want a separate dining room. You might also realize that you enjoy having a lot of windows or you like a finished basement. Study each home and decide what you like about each one.
It can be hard when you first start looking at homes. You can easily get confused. However, after meeting with a mortgage company and deciding how much you are able to spend, you should find a trusted realtor who can show you many homes. You should look at many different styles of homes until you find the perfect one.
Contact us when you are ready to start looking at homes.
Many people ask themselves if they should buy a home right now. You might be just starting to think about moving out of your parents’ home or maybe you have been renting an apartment for a few months. Maybe you are newly married and think that buying a home is the next step. So, how do you know if you are ready to buy a home?
Here are some ways to know if you are ready to buy a home.
- You have a good down payment ready for a mortgage. The more money that you have to put down allows you to buy a better home. It makes your monthly payments a little more affordable.
- You are able to pay a mortgage payment monthly. Whether you pay rent or put a large amount in savings every month toward a down payment, it is important to know that you will be able to pay your mortgage every month on time, no matter what.
- You should have an emergency fund. Things break. Roofs and windows need to be replaced. Cars need to be fixed. Times get slow at work. You should have money saved for these emergencies. Most people recommend that you have enough money saved up so that you can live off of it for three months. Some recommend that you have more than that.
- You know where you want to live. You do not plan on moving any time soon. You should not buy a home if you are not sure where you want to live in the next few years. However, if you like where you live and are sure that you are not going to move, that is a good sign that you are ready to buy a home.
There are many ways to know that you are ready to buy your first home. Ideally, you should have a good down payment and a rainy day fund in case of emergency. Many people like to have enough money to live off of for a few months. Some like a little more. You should also know that you can afford to pay a mortgage every month, no matter what.
Contact us when you are ready to buy a home! We will help you find your dream home.
When people give tips for first time home buyers, many people go back and forth on whether or not they should tell young couples to buy a starter home. Young couples have a lot to think about when they start looking for homes. They need to worry about how much they can afford while their careers are just starting. They have student loans to pay off. Who knows what the future really holds for them?
So, why should first time home buyers buy a starter home?
- They don’t know where their future will take them. Are they really going to live in the same location for the rest of their life?
- They don’t know how much they can afford to spend in the next few years. They might get a good raise but they might not. Maybe they would prefer to buy a smaller house now, and then upgrade in the future when they can afford to.
- They don’t know yet whether or not they want to have children. They might also have to think about their parents living with them at some point. It might be hard to decide how many bedrooms they need at this point.
- Buying a home is really a learning process. It can be hard to discover what you really want in a home until you try some things out. With a starter home, you will learn what you like and dislike about homes. This will help you realize what you want in your dream home!
- Many people feel that renting is a waste of money. They find it hard to save money while renting so buying a smaller starter home is a way of working toward your goal of owning the perfect home!
- When you start with a smaller home, when you finally get your dream home, you will be much more appreciative of your perfect home. You will see how far you have come!
Contact us when you are ready to buy your first home! We can help you find the perfect home, whether you decide on a starter home or not.
Our last blog discussed many reasons for buying a home instead of renting one. However, you might still be asking yourself if you should buy a home right now. It can be difficult to come up with a down payment for a house but it can be worth it. Here are a few more reasons to start looking to buy your first home.
- You have more options when you own your own home. You can paint without getting permission. You can do any renovations that you want. You have more freedom to change anything that you want.
- When things break, you do not have to wait for a landlord to come and fix them. Some landlords are busy and are not able to check on things when things happen. If you own your own home, you alone are responsible to fix things the way that you want.
- When you are renting, you could lose your home at any time. The landlord can make you move for any reason. They can sell it to someone else who decides that they want to live in it. With your own home, you know that you have a stable home for years to come.
- When you own your own home, you are eligible for tax deductions. Yes, you pay more on taxes and interest but it can be rewarding to get a large amount of money back at tax time.
- Many people look forward to being able to retire when their house is paid off. They won’t have a mortgage or rent! They will simply have to pay taxes.
There are so many reasons to buy a home today. You have the flexibility to change anything that you want. You do not have to wait on landlords to fix things when they are broken. Instead, you can do them yourself, the way that you want them fixed. You also have a stable home. You do not have to worry that your landlord is going to sell your home. You can also look forward to tax time when you will get some money back, simply for owning a home and paying extra taxes. You can also look forward to paying off your home and retiring!
Contact us when you are ready to buy your first home!